Head of Department – Visual Effects
Vancouver Institute of Media Arts is an established, private post-secondary institute located in Vancouver, BC, Canada and has been offering diploma programs in the visual, media and performing arts since 1996. VanArts was recently ranked #1 in Western Canada and #11 in the world by Animation Career Review.
We are seeking a highly talented, dynamic visual effects artist to join our team of highly skilled professionals who are dedicated to education in the media arts. The position is Head of Department for Visual Effects and Game Art & Design and begins September 4, 2012.
POSITION: Head of Department – Visual Effects
Manage the department with respect to budgets, human resources and ongoing curriculum planning. Regular instructional duties, plus assist with promotion of the department to potential students.
Dean of Faculty / Senior Educational Administrator
RESPONSIBILITIES (in collaboration with the Dean of Faculty):
• Create a clear goal for the program and set standards for a uniquely positive learning experience, providing students with an opportunity to excel in their chosen disciplines.
• Define standards and goals in writing, with examples to be made available to Program Advisory Committee, as well as current and prospective students.
• Lead the department’s faculty by ensuring institutional values are being followed, interactions with students are positive and appropriate, and industry standards are being stressed.
• Gather appropriate industry representatives for the Program Advisory Committee.
• Create, maintain and update at each intake, a curriculum that offers students the opportunity to reach the program’s standards and goals.
• Teach your area(s) of expertise: at least 12 – 15 hours of class time each week.
• Hire full-time and part-time faculty to deliver their area of expertise, as part of a team in support of reaching the goals set by the program.
• Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
• Attend and participate in institutional and departmental meetings.
• Conduct annual instructor evaluations.
• Work with VP of Finance to manage budget and payroll requirements.
• Review student evaluations, respond and take appropriate actions accordingly and in a timely manner.
• Work with On-Site Administrators to ensure instructor adherence to institution policies and procedures.
Department meetings and documentation.
Program Advisory Committee meetings (PAC) and documentation.
PAC recommendation evaluations, follow up and documentation.
Payroll submission for part-time instructors.
Maintenance and currency of the program’s reference material.
• Minimum of 5-10 years industry experience (teaching experience is an asset).
• Strong management and leadership abilities.
• Excellent communication skills.
• Highly organized and team player.
Salary is negotiable and based on education and experience.
To check out our school, its programs and faculty, please visit www.vanarts.com.
This Job is no longer active!