Head of Department – Game Art & Design
Vancouver Institute of Media Arts is an established, private post-secondary institute located in Vancouver, BC, Canada and has been offering diploma programs in the visual, media and performing arts since 1996. VanArts was recently ranked #1 in Western Canada and #11 in the world by Animation Career Review.
We are seeking a highly talented, dynamic game art & design artist to join our team of highly skilled professionals who are dedicated to education in the media arts. The position is Head of Department for Game Art & Design and begins September 4, 2012.
POSITION: Head of Department –
Game Art & Design
Teach 12 - 15 hours a week character and/or environment asset creation. Manage the department with respect to faculty, course design and curriculum planning, budgets. Assist with promotion of the department to potential students.
Dean of Faculty / Senior Educational Administrator
RESPONSIBILITIES (in collaboration with the Dean of Faculty):
- Create a clear goal for the program and set standards for a uniquely positive learning experience, providing students with an opportunity to excel in their chosen disciplines.
- Define standards and goals in writing, with examples to be made available to Program Advisory Committee, as well as current and prospective students.
- Lead the department’s faculty by ensuring institutional values are being followed, interactions with students are positive and appropriate, and industry standards are being stressed.
- Gather appropriate industry representatives for the Program Advisory Committee.
- Create, maintain and update at each intake, a curriculum that offers students the opportunity to reach the program’s standards and goals.
- Teach your area(s) of expertise in 3D character and/or environment asset creation: at least 12 – 15 hours per week.
- Hire full-time and part-time faculty to deliver their area of expertise, as part of a team in support of reaching the goals set by the program.
- Participate in promotional and industry networking activities as required.
- Attend and participate in institutional and departmental meetings.
- Conduct annual instructor evaluations.
- Work with VP of Finance to manage budget and payroll requirements.
- Review student evaluations, respond and take appropriate actions accordingly and in a timely manner.
- Work with On-Site Administrators to ensure instructor adherence to institution policies and procedures.
- Department meetings and documentation.
Program Advisory Committee meetings (PAC) and documentation.
PAC recommendation evaluations, follow up and documentation.
Payroll submission for part-time instructors.
Maintenance and currency of the program’s reference material.
- Minimum of 8-10 years industry experience (teaching experience is an asset).
- Strong management and leadership abilities.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Highly organized and team player.
Salary is negotiable and based on education and experience.
This Job is no longer active!