to: CG Supervisor, Head of Production Technology
A Technical Director
(TD) provides critical support to a production's artists, team leads and
supervisors. A TD will design, develop,
implement and maintain new tools and processes for a particular project or department. As well, during
production a TD will troubleshoot and resolve technical issues as needed to
keep production moving forward. Additionally, a TD may be tasked with shot
production work, when needed, and where the shot work appropriately matches the
skill set of the TD.
Principal Duties and
- Research, design and develop production
pipeline tools, work-flow and processes in support of stereoscopic CG animated feature films
in addition to any other ongoing studio projects.
- Maintain studio production tools with bug
fixes, documentation and feature updates as needed.
- Assist animators and artists with
troubleshooting production issues in asset creation and shot production
across the entire production pipeline, and help resolve those issues with
data or tools fixes as required.
- Support and work with multiple departments,
including Modeling, Animation, Lighting, VFX, and R&D.
- Work effectively in a dynamic and
collaborative team environment.
that all software development follows studio policies and guidelines.
- Work closely with other other Technical
Directors, Creative Supervisors, and Production Engineering to maintain
and further the production pipeline.
- Assist in training and mentoring of other
Entry Level or Assistant Technical Directors.
- Production experience in computer animation,
visual effects or game development.
- Experience with artist tool development and
tools integration within existing or new pipelines.
- Experience with Deadline, Qube or other render
farm management software.
- Experience working with and building tools for
Maya as well as any other production modeling, animation or effects
- Strong programming skills, including
proficiency in Python, PyQt, MEL, and Linux shell scripting; C++ or C are
- Experience with source control systems like
Mercurial, SVN, Git or other similar systems.
- Experience with Fusion, Nuke or other
- Experience with Renderman,
3Delight or other Renderman compliant renderers.
- Ability to establish priorities, work
independently or within a group, and work with minimal supervision.
- Exceptional communication skills in dealing
with both technical and artistic groups.
- Exceptional trouble-shooting and problem
- Experience with software development in 2D and
3D computer graphics.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Engineering
(or equivalent) is preferred.
This Job is no longer active!