Video Gaming Technologies, Inc. (VGT) is a leading North American manufacturer and distributor of casino games. Recognized as one of the fastest-growing privately held companies in the United States, VGT continues to expand its presence in Class II and other emerging gaming markets.
Since 1991, VGT has experienced unparalleled growth. In 2005 alone, the company made top billing on the INC 500 list, the magazine’s annual list of the Country’s fastest growing private companies. Become a part of this exciting and thriving industry, enjoy the local culture, and the great work environment we have planned for you at our new facility, located just South of Nashville in Franklin, Tennessee.
Family-owned and operated since 1991, we're always looking for creative thinkers to join the VGT family. Bring us your passion, hard work and innovative thinking, and we'll provide you with a fun, rewarding environment and the resources you need to succeed. At VGT, We Create Winners!®
The Technical Writer’s role is to develop written information and documentation about the organization’s processes, tool sets, templates, specifications, requirements, etc. required to create and release games, platforms, and gaming systems. Outputs include a range of creative, informative, procedural, and technical documents to be used by technical and non-technical personnel across all departments.
Key Performance Competencies
· Planning and organizing
· Communication Skills
· Creative/continuous Improvement
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
· Liaise with Product Owners and end users to identify and define processes, procedures, requirements, and specifications to establish documentation needs for game development and deployment including hardware, software, and related systems, tool sets, and processes.
· Analyze development and deployment project requirements to determine types of documents needed.
· Collaborate with development staff to collect and interpret creative and technical information.
· Report regularly to management the process of each project including all outstanding dependencies.
· Perform peer editing and production reviews.
· Ensure final documents are usable and of high quality.
· Research, evaluate, and recommend new documentation tools and methods in support of documentation improvement efforts.
· Develop documentation project plans and timelines.
· Plan, design, research, write, and edit a range of documents, including user guides and manuals, development specifications and templates, technical specifications, training materials, user policies, and proposals, for both print and online media.
· Edit written documentation of development and other creative and technical staff to create unified and consistent support documents.
· Establish, communicate, and maintain documentation standards, and provide training where required.
· Maintain updated and accurate documentation.
Reports to Agile Development Manager
· Exceptional written and oral communication skills, with the ability to create audience-focused content.
· Ability to juggle multiple concurrent projects of various size and topics.
· Strong attention to detail.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills, with a focus on rapport-building, listening, and interviewing skills.
· Ability to conduct research into a wide range of technical development and business issues as required.
· Ability to absorb and retain information quickly, specifically complex technical information.
· Ability to organize complex technical information and operational procedures for specific audiences.
· Ability to analyze target audience and to present ideas in user-friendly language.
· Ability to understand the organization’s goals and objectives.
· Highly self-motivated and self-directed.
· Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
· Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
· Exceptional customer service orientation.
· Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
Education, Training and Experience
· College/University degree in the field of English, Communications, or Journalism, or equivalent experience.
· A background in technology development is highly desirable.
· 7 years experience as a writer or documentation specialist.
Hands-on technical writing and editing experience, with specific experience in documenting