Lead Level Designer - 2K Marin
The lead level designer is responsible for the management, quality and on-time delivery of several levels and missions in the multi-SKU tactical shooter game XCOM. As a lead level designer, you report to the project’s Lead Level Designer, and work directly with the Lead Environment Arist, Lead Modeler, Lead Narrative Designer, a team of experienced level designers and the Design Director to develop interesting, exciting and well-paced levels that express the core of the game’s design and themes.
· Manage, direct, mentor and inspire a group of level designers in the execution of their gameplay content, on a large, multiple level, multi-SKU title.
· As a member of the design leadership, help set creative goals for levels and work with partners to ensure those goals are being met.
· Provide daily feedback and direction on levels to allow for constant, rapid iteration by level designers.
· Build and maintain the level schedule in conjunction with the design and project goals.
· Coordinate with the production group to maintain a consistent rate of output, schedule current and future tasks, and estimate time costs associated with deliverables.
· Collaborate with other leads and directors in the development and completion of levels.
· Suggest creative new ideas and concepts to provide experiential diversity throughout the game.
· Take part in weekly leads meetings to ensure project priorities are aligned across disciplines.
· Help build stronger more efficient process/pipelines for level group, including improving current workflow and helping to develop new tools.
· Represent a project-focus to the level design team to keep priorities among level designers in line with the project’s priorities.
· Contribute as a member of the design team to discussions covering feature design, event scripting, high concept and product positioning, narrative and backstory, systems tuning and game balance.
· Create and maintain internal design documentation for levels, and document and disseminate level design best practices.
· Coordinate and disseminate feedback from design leads, focus tests and the QA group.
· Play both internal and competing products regularly and provide comparative analysis.
Education and experience:
· Previous experience with a gameplay scripting language or high level programming language.
· At least two shipped titles.
· Experience leading a team on at least one shipped current generation console title.
· Experience working with last and current generation game console technology, including performance analysis and optimization.
· Unreal Engine experience a plus.