The Compositing Supervisor is responsible for leading a team of
Compositors and Leads and managing the quality of the compositing work
and the overview of color continuity on a show. The Compositing
Supervisor also works closely with the VFX Supervisor to communicate and
delegate the compositing needs of the show to the team as well as
represents the voice of the Compositing team with respect to workload
and pipeline environment.
- Partners with Lead Compositor in evaluating the creative and technical approach for assigned shots.
- Oversees all tasks associated with the compositing process, including
2D tracking, matte extraction, layering of elements and color grading.
- Provides technical guidance and training to Compositors and Leads
- Assists in the design and execution of training for the compositing department.
- Responsible for problem solving and communication issues at the technical level.
- Interfaces with other departments to insure the seamless combination of
work from other disciplines (Lighting, Roto, Generalists, etc).
- Participates as a supervising team member in determining various design
solutions; efficiency improvements and provides artistic feedback on a
shot and sequence level to other team members of the production.
- Partners with Artist Management to guide artists’ overall professional
development, providing performance feedback, mentoring, assist with
resolving performance issues and maintaining positive morale amongst the
- Attend all relevant meetings to promote effective communication throughout the production team.
- Actively participates in the recruiting and staffing of the compositing
team - assesses the work of prospective candidates for the hiring
process and works with Artist Management on hiring decisions.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or Computer Graphics or equivalent work experience.
- Relevant understanding of color theory, composition, lighting,
aesthetics and how these apply to lighting and rendering in 3D
- 8+ year’s production experience with experience in a leadership role in high-end film visual effects
- Strong knowledge or expert level of various software platforms
including Maya, Shake, Nuke, or any other high end CG or compositing
- Strong working knowledge of Linux, Python and shell scripting required.
- Look development and/or shader writing preferred
- Ability to plan and execute complex 3D lighting scenes including
working with layers and passes, doing complex comps and optimizing
scenes and renders
- Some photography experience a plus
(understanding of composition, photography terms like depth of field,
FOV, aperture, exposure, dynamic range)
- Highly proficient skills in technical problem solving.
- Strong communication skills (written, verbal and interpersonal)