Character Effects Technical Director
Rising Sun Pictures is currently seeking an established Character Effects Technical Director to join our animation team for a highly anticipated feature film. This position will have a strong emphasis on creating realistic cloth simulation.
Employment periods: Immediate start through to late 2017.
Location: Adelaide, Australia. This position is open to Australian and international applicants. Visa and relocation assistance provided where applicable.
In this role you will be required to create hero and secondary cloth simulations across a range of 3d assets including digi-doubles, sails, flags, hero vehicles, etc. Your strong understanding of physical movement and the effect of natural environmental forces, ensure your simulations hit the creative brief.
As an accomplished and professional artist, you have excellent animation sensibilities and well developed creative eye. You will have achieved previous success at a number of high profile VFX studios in roles such as Cloth TD, Character TD, Effects Animator, etc. You are adaptable, in that you can work varying in-house rigging systems. You may be currently creating high-end game cinematics and be looking to extend your career into visual effects.
Demonstrated experience with Maya rigging & animation tools and high end cloth systems is a fundamental pre-requisite for successful applicants.
Required Skills and Experience
- Deliver dynamic cloth and/or hair simulations across a wide range of CG assets required for live action footage augmentation & transition.
- Create & adjust highly adjustable cloth rigs, that allow for the creation of plausible animation.
- Work closely with other Riggers, Modellers and Animators to hit delivery targets.
- Demonstrate progress through the regular submission of work in progress and daily updates.
- Clearly communicate with production any delays or obstacles that may impact your delivery.
- Provide thorough QA and sanity checks of rigs before they reach your internal client.
- Minimum 2 years high-end cloth simulation within a Maya working environment.
- Rigging skills a plus.
- Experience using nCloth advantageous.
- Experience using Yeti preferred.
- Experience with simulating digital hair advantageous, but not essential in this role.
- Artistic and real-world understanding of dynamics, proportion, depth, scale, and physical space.
- Expert people management/leadership and organisational skills.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanour in a deadline focused work environment.
- Technical and creative problem solving with a service oriented mindset.
- Visual Effects, Fine Art, Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics or related tertiary qualification may be required for international applicants.
To apply, please use the apply button. Please state your availability and country of passport so we can assess your right to work in Australia and visa options.