Rising Sun Pictures is currently looking for experienced Layout Artists to join our Layout team.
Employment period: Range of 6 month & long-term positions available, with an immediate start.
Location: Adelaide, Australia. These positions are open to Australian and international applicants. Visa and relocation assistance provided where applicable.
The Layout Artist is responsible for designing and setting up high quality live action and all-cg shots.
The successful candidate will have a thorough understanding of cameras, composition, cinematography and assets as well as the ability to effectively collaborate with the head of the department and the show supervisor.
Your proven ability to construct compelling cinematography through digital set building will ensure your success. You value the relationship between all scene objects relative to the camera. To that end, you transition between the artistic & technical challenges with ease. You are mindful of optimising scene assets to ensure downstream render success.
You possess a technical understanding of physical camera attributes and the spatial relationship between large number of physical and digital assets.
Required skills and experience
- The consistent and timely creation of animated cameras and objects derived from live action plates and reference materials.
- High quality creation of all animated plate elements.
- Animation and shot design for previs and postvis.
- Basic character animation.
- Live action footage based workflow using imageplanes, nodal and non nodal camera offsets and re-projections.
- Scene setup, set dressing and environment blocking.
- Maintaining sequence continuity.
- Dressing shots with pre-animated vignettes/animation cycles.
- Creation of high quality playblast for review.
- Distribution of work for downstream use by other departments.
- Assist in diagnosing and troubleshooting pipeline issues.
- Keep up-to-date on toolsets.
- Mentoring and develop less experienced team members. Knowledge and technique sharing is expected in this role.
- Promote a collaborative and enjoyable workplace, influencing morale, fostering purposeful discussion and positive work ethic.
- Minimum 3+ years layout experience working with live action footage, image planes and projections for high-end feature films.
- Proven ability to create realistic camera motion.
- Understanding of lens and camera aberrations such as motion blur and rolling shutter.
- Camera animation, and cinematography.
- Attention to detail, with a strong creative eye.
- Deep understanding of composition.
- Strong communication skills.
- Real world camera, and onset experience is a plus.
- A desire and willingness to improve and learn.
- Strong technical and creative problem solving with a can-do mindset.
- Maintain a calm and professional demeanour in a deadline focused work environment.
- Ability to present your work clearly, including factors that affect composition and mood of the shot.
- Visual Effects, Fine Art, Computer Science, Physics or Mathematics or related tertiary qualification may be required for international applicants.
To apply, please use the apply button. Please state your availability and country of passport so we can assess your right to work in Australia and visa options.